Sunday, April 3, 2011

Adventure Sunday

Adventure Sunday is a designated day every available Sunday to go on some sort of Off-Road adventure around Santa Cruz. Usually set up the day of with no real plan but to explore and see what we can find. Which usually leads to interesting predicaments and improvisations but always a good time.

Previous trips we have gone to Big Sur in my Bronco, and Hollister Hills and all over Santa Cruz in my Toyota.

Big Sur




Santa Cruz





       Hollister Hills




    This Sunday was rather unique as it had just snowed in the mountains of Santa Cruz and Jeff, Synne, Shane and I headed up hwy 17 to the summit in my Toyota to check it out.

      I had no idea it snowed here so it was really fun. Once we hit a decent ammount of snow we saw a ranger parked in front of the road we were trying to go up blocking traffic. I try to make up a story about how I have to get up this road to see a friend but he can tell im lying and turns us away so we take another road. We take the road all the way around the mountain which takes a couple hours on snowy, muddy dirt roads.




     We get into corrilitos with the help of Shanes navigation skills and end up In Buzzards Lagoon. There is a trail I have not explored here which is suppose to lead to a lagoon but the only way in is up a very steep, rooted and muddy hill which I cant even get up a inch on. So I line up and pull out the winch cable and Synne ties it around a tree and we winch up the hill with no problems.




     The trail has not been used in quite some time and there are trees fallen across the road so I winch it out of the way and then Jeff and I push it off the trail. It barely moves and takes quite some time and effort.


     Stopped for a break at a steep section of the trail which was at a angle leading into a gulch. It looked like since it was raining and so muddy out if we tried we would slide off the trail and into the tree's so we decided to turn around and try it another day when it was not so wet and had another truck to pull us out if things went wrong. The trail shall be conquered.




No comments:

Post a Comment