Sunday, April 3, 2011

Oahu

Woke up one morning and went into town to get some food and almost froze in the cold weather and gloomy rain. Not into it. If you know me I wear board shorts 300 days of the year and having to wear a shirt is a major bummer. I got home and checked the weather online and it showed rain for the rest of the month boo! I got a email from my friend Jake in Hawaii saying how I should come over and visit in Kauai. My mom happened to be in Oahu at the time with my family so what more perfect of a time to go see my Hawaii family and Jake. Got a ticket leaving the next day to Honolulu and drove my Toyota at 5am to SFO.
     My mom picked me up at the airport and we went to my Aunt and Uncles house to meet up with everyone. My cousin Mo and Nathan had twin girls recently and it was so great to see them and spend time with everyone. I know everyone says they have cute babies but these two are honestly the cutest ive ever seen. They smile and laugh all day and put up a minimal fuss from what I have seen.




     My cousin Matt had just gotten married a few days ago and I got to meet his wife and we went out to Honolulu to get some drinks together after dinner with the rest of the family. We go to a bar in China Town that Matts friend's band is playing at and get some martini's.


    A few hours into the night and I hear a very loud alarm going off and a guy comes into the bar saying there is a tsunami warning from Japan. We kinda brush it off as just a warning as this happens occasionally and then I get a call from my Mom saying they are being told to evacuate the house because the house is only 15 feet from the water about 3 feet above sea level.
     Ok I guess its pretty serious now so we go back to the house and my mom has the car all packed. Watch the news for a while seeing what is going on until we finally left the house about midnight. Matt has a small studio apartment on the hill and there are 10 of us and 2 little babies so the younger kids go to my other cousins house and the parents stay at Matts.
    Im pretty tired and go to sleep and wake up in the morning early, call the beach house and ask if everything is ok. The water had come up on the lawn but did not hit the house. My other families house is just as close to the beach about a mile north and water came all the way up on the lawn, around the side of the house and into the pool but the house is elevated so it did not get inside. Well all is clear just a little cleaning to do around the landscaping for the debris. Unfortunately cant say the same for Japan, my cousins wife's family lives in Japan which was rather stressful for her, she was able to get ahold of them the next day and all are ok.



     My friend Danielle is in Oahu as well visiting her mom and she picks me up the next day for a cruise around the island. We go around the backside of the island and stop at beaches and lookouts along the way. I went to a few places I had never been before which was fun. Love the North Shore :)




No comments:

Post a Comment